‘THE UNTAMED BEAST’
“It is difficult to capture Ian in words. In many ways a contradiction; his unapologetic and uncensored drive, determination and swearing was as intense as his kindness, intelligence and loyalty.
Ian was a highly respected operator with the 2nd Commando Regiment and devoted to every aspect of life as a soldier.
Even as a kid Ian had been obsessed with becoming a Special Forces soldier. He enlisted in the Australian Army in 2000 and his first posting was to 2nd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment (RAR) in Townsville as a Rifleman. In 2003 he decided to pursue his ambition and completed his Commando selection and Reinforcement cycle, and was then posted to 4th Battalion RAR (Commando), now known as 2nd Commando Regiment.
In 2004 Ian took a break from the Army and moved back to Tasmania to marry his high school sweetheart, Jo, and start a family. Ian became an adoring dad to his son Xander and daughter Ella. During this time he posted to the Army Reserves at 12/40 Royal Tasmanian Regiment, but disheartened by work opportunities as a civilian he found work in Iraq as a private security contractor.
Ian missed Defence life, so in 2006 he moved backed to Sydney with Jo and the kids and went back to fulltime ADF service in the 2nd Commando Regiment.
Whilst juggling a demanding career and being devoted to his family, Ian completed a Bachelor of Arts in Security, Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism and a Masters in Strategy and Security. His capacity to apply himself and achieve a high standard in anything he set his mind to was inspiring to say the least. The opposing side to his driven personality was, in his own words, an “untamed beast” that would lead him into destruction and depression. This was his greatest battle, and one that saw him end his own life in 2017.
The movements in Ian’s WOD were chosen by his children, one of their favourite memories with their Dad was going to his work gym and trying to follow him through his gruelling workouts. The 15+21 reps each round equal 36 for the 36 glorious years he lived.”
Source & Consent: Jo Turner (Spouse).
Ian deployed on the following Operations:
Operation Tanager (East Timor) 2001-2002, Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) 2007-2008, Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) 2009, Domestic Counter Terrorism (TAG-E) 2010, Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) 2011-2012, Operation Slipper (Afghanistan) 2013, Domestic Counter Terrorism (TAG-E) 2014, Operation OKRA (Iraq) 2015, Operation OKRA (Iraq) 2016
Ian was awarded the following honours and awards:
- Australian Defence Force Bronze Commendation
- Special Operations Commander Australia Commendation Bronze Commendation
- Australian Defence Force Long Service Medal
- Operational Service Medal with clasp: Iraq
- NATO medal with clasp: ISAF
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Australian Active Service Medal with clasps: East Timor & ICAT
- Australian Service Medal with clasp: CT/SR
- United Nations Medal: East Timor
- Australian Defence Medal
- Meritorious Unit Citation
- Infantry Combat Badge
- Returned From Active Service Badge
- 12/40 RTR Champion Soldier (2006)
- 12/40 RTR Champion Soldier (2005)
- 2RAR Champion Soldier (2001)
- Best at Military Operations Award (Junior Leadership Course – 2008)
- Trainee of Merit (SOCOMD Supervisor Infantry Operations Section Course – 2008)
- Leadership Award (Subject One for Sergeant – 2012)
THE HERO WOD
5 Rounds for time:
- 15 Push Press 50/35
- 21 Front Squat
- 400m Run